Name: Prof. Dr. Imre Lengyel
Year of birth: 1954
- mathematician (MSc), József Attila University, Szeged; 1979
- economist (MSc), Karl Marx University of Economic Sciences, Budapest; 1986
|Current employer(s) and position:
University of Szeged, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Institute of Economics and Economic Development, full professor, head of institute
|Academic degree / Academic title, membership:
- Habilitation, University of Szeged, 2004
- Doctor of Economic Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 2005
- 1997 – 2000
- Széchenyi professorship
Kőrösi Csoma Sándor College, Békéscsaba, 1994-1997
- Regional and urban economics
University of Szeged, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, 1997-
- Introduction to regional and urban economics
- Regional and local economic development
- The Practice of Social Research
University of Szeged, Doctoral School of Economics, 2009-
- Advances in Social Research
- Regional economic development
- Regional and urban economics
Number of years spent in education: 23 year
|Work experience and achievements:
- 1986 – 1993
- research fellow, Centre for Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Békéscsaba
- 1994 – 1997
- deputy rector, associate professor, Kőrösi Csoma Sándor College, Békéscsaba
- 1997 – 2004
- associate professor, head of Regional and Applied Economics Department, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Szeged
- 1999 – 2002
- deputy dean, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
- 2004 –
- full professor, head of Economics and Economic Development Institute, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
- 2012 – 2016
- chair of Doctoral School in Economics, University of Szeged
|Professional, scientific work in connection with the subjects taught:
- 5 most significant publications of the past 5 years
- Lengyel, I. 2017: Competitive and uncompetitive regions in transition economies: the case of the Visegrad post-socialist countries. In Huggins, R. & Thompson, P. (eds). Handbook of Regions and Competitiveness. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, pp. 398-415.
- Lengyel I. – Vas Zs. – Szakálné Kanó I. – Lengyel B. 2017: Spatial differences of reindustrialization in a postsocialist economy: manufacturing in the Hungarian counties. European Planning Studies, vol. 25., no. 8., pp. 1416-1434.
- Lengyel, I.– Lukovics, M. – Imreh, Sz. 2016: Challenges of Entrepreneurship in a Less Developed Region of Hungary: the ELI-ALPS Laser Research Centre in Szeged. Journal Transition Studies Review, 1, pp. 79-96.
- Nagy B. – Lengyel I. 2016: The structural change of manufacturing in Hungary, 2008–2014. Studies in International Economics, Vol. 2, No. 2. pp. 3-22.
- Lengyel, I. – Rechnitzer, J. 2013: Drivers of Regional Competitiveness in the Central European Countries. Transition Studies Review, vol. 20., issue 3., pp. 421-435.
- 5 most important scientific publications of the scientific life’s work
- Lengyel, I. 2009: Knowledge-based local economic development for enhancing competitiveness in lagging areas of Europe: The case of the University of Szeged. In Varga, A. (ed): Universities, Knowledge Transfer and Regional Development: Geography, Entrepreneurship and Policy. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham- Northampton, pp. 322-349.
- Kállay, L. – Lengyel, I. 2008: The Internationalization of Hungarian SMEs. In Dana, L-P. – Welpe, I. M. – Han, M. – Ratten, V. (eds): Handbook of Research on European Business and Entrepreneurship. Towards a Theory of Internationalization. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham- Northampton, pp. 277-295.
- Lengyel, I. 2004: The Pyramid Model: Enhancing Regional Competitiveness in Hungary. Acta Oeconomica, 54 (3), pp. 323-342.
- Lengyel, I. 1995: From plan to market: The case of Hungarian banking system. In Tykkyläinen, M. (ed): Local and Regional Development During the 1990s Transition in Eastern Europe. Avebury, Aldershot, pp. 109-118.
- Lengyel I. 1993: Development of local government finance in Hungary. In Bennett, R.J. (ed): Local Government in the New Europe. Belhaven Press, London, pp. 225-245.
|Professional/scientific public activity, international collaborations, honours:
- Committee on Economics of the Szeged Regional Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, member 1991-, chair 2008-2017
- Commission on Geography and Public Administration, International Geographical Union, 1992-1996 (full member)
- Committee on Regional Science of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, elected member 1991-, deputy chair 1999-2008, chair 2008-2011
- Hungarian Regional Science Association, member 2002-, vice president 2015-2017
- European Regional Science Association, member 1992-
- Space and Society, member of editorial board, 2006-
- Regional Statistics, member of editorial board, 2014-
- Tér-Gazdaság-Ember, member of editorial board, 2012-
- Knight’s Cross of the Order of Merit of Hungary
- Academic Award of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Klebelsberg Kunó Award, University of Szeged